Yesterday we opened our windows for the first time since last summer. I love the smell of that fresh air forcing out the stale stuff we’ve been breathing all winter. I love watching our cats fight for the spot right in front of the open window. I love looking outside and seeing the first couple crocuses poking out of the ground. I just love Spring!
I wanted to bring a little bit of that Spring beauty inside with me, so I made up this centerpiece (I didn’t want to actually deprive a poor bird of his home, after all!) it’s pretty big- the porcelain eggs inside of it are about the size of your typical chicken’s eggs- so it’ll work perfectly atop our dining table for the season. The best part was it was SO easy, and pretty cheap too. Here’s what you do-
1. You’ll need a basket- pick one the shape and size you want your finished nest, a vine garland (I used a 15′ one), some moss from the floral department (I used a little bit of the sheet moss and a little of the loose stuff because that’s what I had on hand. I think if I bought it I’d go with the sheets) and a glue gun. You may want some floral wire and cutters around, but I didn’t end up needing them.
2. Take your glue gun and put glue on a small section of your basket.
3. Stick some moss on it your glue.
4. Continue all the way around the basket. I left the bottom of my basket moss-less so it would sit straight- just make sure you cover everything that will show with moss.
5. Using the same method, cover the lip of your basket.
6. Cover the inside. (See, this isn’t a super detailed project!)
7. Take the first half of your garland and wrap it around the outside of your basket. You only need to wrap the parts of the basket that show when it’s sitting upright- leave the bottom so the nest will sit up on its own. When you have it where you want it, you can secure it with your glue gun every few inches. If you want, you could secure it with floral wire here, but I didn’t end up needing to with mine.
8. Flip your basket over and wrap the remaining garland around the top and inside of the basket. Secure if needed.